Saturday, June 22, 2013

Bread and Butter Refrigerator Pickles- Small Batch Canning

Pin It Now!


It was a perfect storm of my weird little link party in my head for this post...

First, I knew that in a few days I was going to cater a party with a big batch of Smoked Pulled Pork.  Especially when I am invited to cater an event with BBQ, I like to make up my own condiments.  Makes it seem more special.

So, Pulled Pork and home made refrigerator Bread and Butter Pickles is a must.

But also I was going to get an opportunity to take this photo of my spotless clean refrigerator used just for my refrigerator pickles...


Keep scrolling down for this easy to follow recipe...


Welcome to the all new Scott Family refrigerator!  27 plus cubic feet of delicious cold storage.  Our "spare" refrigerator (honestly, commonly called the basement Beer fridge) was about to give up the ghost.  After years of faithful service it was getting unreliable and had a bit of a smell (a little like me).  So we moved the kitchen fridge to the basement and headed out to buy something new... AND BIG!

Everything about this bad boy is bigger, better designed and more energy efficient!  Whoo Whoo!

So, for a very brief while this huge beastie boy served as my storage vessel for refrigerator pickles.

OK, let's do a disclaimer... I am not a huge canner (yet).  I have occasionally made a batch of tomato sauce, I have canned some preserves, jams and even some peach slices.  But in no way should this post replace reference material like the excellent book, "Food in Jars: Preserving in Small Batches Year Round" or the BALL JAR's own website, FreshPreserving.com. where you can find recipes and SAFE instructions on canning in small batches.

OK... With those warnings in place,here's what I did to make 4 Pints of Bread and Butter Refrigerator Pickles...

You will need...

4 pint size Canning Jars
4 matching rings for the jars
4 matching lids

You will also need the smaller package of bread and butter pickling mix.  this is an envelope of spices sold almost everywhere the jars and lids are sold and in all larger supermarkets.  Once you get into canning you will want to make your own spice mix, but this will certainly do to get your feet wet in the pickling world.

One change experienced canners will notice is that I used Cider Vinegar in place of the more common white vinegar.  For me, I like the milder "vinegary" taste of the cider type.  It also makes for darker liquid in the jars and if you store these pickles long enough will darken the pickles as well.

But my 4 pints were gone within a couple of weeks... no problem!

OK... Armed with all these tools, here we go...

Small Batch
Bread and Butter Refrigerator Pickles


Ingredients:

3 lb pickling cucumbers
1 Small Vadalia onion, sliced thin, rings separated
2 Small Sweet Red Peppers, sliced thin
2 cups Cider Vinegar
2 cups granulated sugar
1 pkg Bread & Butter Pickle Mix


Directions
  1. PREPARE boiling water canner. Heat jars and lids in simmering water until ready for use. Do not boil. Set bands aside.
  2. CUT cucumbers into 1/2-inch thick slices, discarding ends. Combine vinegar, sugar and contents of package in a medium saucepan. Heat to a boil.
  3. PACK cucumber slices mixed with the onions and peppers into hot jars leaving 1/2 inch head space. Ladle hot pickling liquid over cucumbers leaving 1/2 inch head space. 
  4. Remove air bubbles. 
  5. Wipe rim. 
  6. Center hot lid on jar. 
  7. Apply band and adjust until fit is fingertip tight.
  8. Allow to cool to room temperature.  If you wait, you will hear a POP as the lids will seal as theair and liquid cools and shrinks, forming a vacuum.
  9. Cool tin the refrigerator for 1-3 days before eating.  Pickles will stay fresh for up to a month.
  10. Serve chilled on sandwiches, pulled pork or Hamburgers and ENJOY!

*************************************************************************

So,  I am pleased to list this as one of my very favorite Growing list of  "52 Small Batch Canning Ideas"!!!

I love Canning! Love the idea of it, Love having my own Jellies, Pickled produce, Sauces, Chutneys... All those pint, half pint, 4 Ounce jars,,, Even big quart jars of Spaghetti Sauce Lined up in my basement storage shelves.  Small batch means I can usually finish a project in no more than an hour of hands on work and usually less.  Easy DIY Projects that last a month or more... Great ideas for first time canners!

*************************************************************************

I am also pleased to list this as one of my Growing list of  "52 Grilling Time Secret Extras" or "52 Ways to Cook BBQ and Grilling Recipes"!!!

Well over 52 recipes actually as I just can't stop... Over 100 in one grilling season (I love to grill!). But not just leat... Drinks, Condiments (LOTS of different BBQ sauces), Drinks, Desserts... even specialty items like GRILLED Pizza, and fun shaped Watermelons.  Easy and these ideas will make you the MASTER of your Backyard Domain!

****************************PINTEREST**************************

Come and find me on Pinterest... Any of my "52 Ways to cook" Boards are worth following.  If you like this post, please take a second and "Pin" this to your own boards... Better yet, if you are part of a foodie group board please take a second and add this post to your group pins... best way to show your Love!

And BTW, if you are not yet part of a group board, drop me an email at Contact@eRecipeCards.com and request to be added to my group board... FAVORITE FOOD BLOGGERS! (be sure to include your pinterest ID when you write)  Once you are added, any pins you add will be seen by 10s of THOUSANDS of followers of the board (and growing daily).

Rules, only 2... 
  1. In order to join you need to start following the group board as well as at least one of my boards.
  2. And you must ONLY pin original sources, posts from food related bloggers only.  If you are a blogger, this is a great way to have thousands of potential readers see your work,  If you are a fan of bloggers, a great way to share your favorites...
    Come and be a part of ... FAVORITE FOOD BLOGGERS! on Pinterest

No comments:

Post a Comment

FMP