Friday, February 8, 2013

Peanut Butter Cookies - We're Going Old School

Pin It Now!

All things old are new again as I dig through my old old old blog and update some of my favorites...

Enjoy, this is a WINNER!


In the past, I haven't made much of a secret about my culinary upbringing.  My sainted Mother was a product of the 60's.  She believed the ads, read the magazines and never met a chicken she couldn't pour a can of cream of mushroom soup or top with a slice of Velveeta.  My brother and I still refer to the spring of '68 as, "the dark times", when Better Homes and Garden published a recipe with chicken, the soup AND a slice of the cheese product.  To be fair, my mother was among the first generation of working mothers who were told they could have it all, full time career, husband, children and a social life.  Cooking took second place (well, 8th actually).


My wife, on the other hand, had a stay at home mom who cooked every day.  When Jackie went her own way in the world and left home, she took an afternoon and had her Mom write out her recipes for her.  35 years later, she still has 3 books of index cards.  Most are weathered yellow, stained from use and are among her treasures.




During Jackie's recent recovery from her health scare, she asked for one of her Mama's recipes.  Peanut Butter cookies like her Mom made.  We were on a protein kick to get her blood numbers back where they should be.  A snack with peanut butter was literally just what the Doctor ordered.


I am going to use this as my "Cooking For Empty Nesters" post.  A good chance to remind myself to not get caught up in reinventing the wheel.  Sometimes I want to add new ingredients (wonder how a little grated ginger would taste in these cookies???  Or my personal favorite is to add just a pinch of Cayenne Pepper to sweet gookies for just a hint of pop).  Sometimes I want to be different just so I can brag about how different I can make a recipe.


But sometimes you just want a cookie like your Mama (in-law) makes.


So...

Cooking for Empty Nester's Tip #2
On occasion, go old school and find a surprise.  Cook an old favorite and don't fall into the blogger trap of different to be different.  Find that recipe that is a remembrance for who you cook for and make them think of simpler days.
So, here's Mama's Peanut Butter Cookie recipe...


1/2 cup Shortening
1/2 cup white Sugar
1/2 cup (packed) Brown Sugar
1 Egg
1 tsp Vanilla
2 TBS Milk
1/2 cup Peanut Butter
1 3/4 cup Flour
1/2 tsp Salt
1tsp Soda


Cream Shortening and Sugars,
add the egg, vanilla & milk.
Add peanut butter and mix well.
Add sifted dry ingredients.
Make rounded teaspoons of dough
Roll the balls in additional sugar.
put on cookie sheet.  Press with a fork.  Bake in preheated 350 degree oven for 10-12 minutes.

*************************************************************************

So,  I am pleased to list this as one of my Growing list of  "52 Ways to Cook COOKIE, BARS and TRUFFLES"!!!

Old school like classic criss cross peanut butter to new takes on interesting recipes like a beautiful Red Velvet with the cream cheese mixed inside the cookie, accented with white chocolate chips!  Even a Pineapple Cream Cheese EASY Bar with only 5 ingredients! 
Stop on by, there's always a new cookie in the cookie jar!

****************************PINTEREST**************************

Come and find me on Pinterest... Any of my "52 Ways to cook" Boards are worth following.  If you like this post, please take a second and "Pin" this to your own boards... Better yet, if you are part of a foodie group board please take a second and add this post to your group pins... best way to show your Love!

And BTW, if you are not yet part of a group board, drop me an email at Contact@eRecipeCards.com and request to be added to my group board... FAVORITE FOOD BLOGGERS! (be sure to include your pinterest ID when you write)  Once you are added, any pins you add will be seen by 10s of THOUSANDS of followers of the board (and growing daily).

Rules, only 2... 
  1. In order to join you need to start following the group board as well as at least one of my boards.
  2. And you must ONLY pin original sources, posts from food related bloggers only.  If you are a blogger, this is a great way to have thousands of potential readers see your work,  If you are a fan of bloggers, a great way to share your favorites...
    Come and be a part of ... FAVORITE FOOD BLOGGERS! on Pinterest

1 comment:

  1. nothing like going ol' school on someone. Good job have not made pb cookies in years but after my fast, im pulling out my fav old recipes and bake a few.

    ReplyDelete

FMP