Tuesday, December 25, 2012

Merry Christmas Tradition - Latkes

Pin It Now!

What a busy season it's been.  First time on TV as a cook.  I was actually paid for my catering skills (side dishes for 140 people)... Again, first time.  We hosted 4 seasonal dinner parties (a record) and the blog, the website and my new Pinterest following hit yearly records.

So today the season ends and it is a tradition around our place... Just my wife and myself.  A little special cooking just for her (starting with Latkes), we don't get out of our pajamas and we watch videos all day.

So, just pausing for a Merry Christmas wish, hope Santa was good to you (I got a new Crock pot AND a Pasta Machine!!!).  Here's a quick recipe for those little potato pancakes,,, And annual breakfast for us...


Keep scrolling down for this easy to follow recipe...






 As I am typing this, we are watching "Love, Actually", the Hugh Grant sort of Christmas movie.  One of the songs featured is the classic (redone for Christmas by the drunk old rocker), Love is All Around Me.

Well, Latkes are all Europe (and Kansas).  Often by a different name, from Ireland to Russia... Sweden all the way south to Africa, all claim this dish as their own.

Me, I discovered them in a New York Deli back in the 80's and have loved them ever since... So simple and nostalgic for me.

Here's the recipe (made 7 of em)...

5 medium Potatoes, grated
1 medium Red Onion, grated
4 large Eggs
2 rounded TBS Flour
1 big Pinch Salt
several turns of a pepper grinder
4 TBS Olive Oil
Sour Cream to garnish (optional)

  1. VERY IMPORTANT...
    squeeze as much liquid as possible out of the potatoes and onions after they are grated and before you mix with the other ingredients.  
  2. Preheat the oil in a heavy bottomed skillet over medium heat
  3. Mix everything else together, form into pancakes
  4. Fry until golden brown and delicious
  5. Garnish with Sour Cream
  6. Serve HOT and enjoy



As a treat, I surprised Jackie with some peaches and cream as a side dish...

I canned the peaches myself back when they were ripe.  I only have 4 jars (out of a dozen) left, so it was a treat.

Just whipped a little Heavy Cream until slightly thickened, added a couple TBS of powdered sugar and away we went...

Best served as breakfast in bed on Christmas morning...

Hope you find your one to share and relax and of course...

God Bless us Everyone

Dave and Jackie

******************************************************

This simple recipe has been added to my growing list of "52 Breakfast Ideas!"

It's the most important meal of the day.  From fancy to simple, there are always ways to dress up a breakfast dish.  These are the meals that make Bed and Breakfast Inns legendary (and usually easier than you think).

Here's your chance to make your guests Ooh and Aah!

***********************PINTEREST*********************

Come and find me on Pinterest... Any of my "52 Ways to cook" Boards are worth following.  If you like this post, please take a second and "Pin" this to your own boards... Better yet, if you are part of a foodie group board please take a second and add this post to your group pins... best way to show your Love!

And BTW, if you are not yet part of a group board, drop me an email at Contact@eRecipeCards.com and request to be added to my group board... FAVORITE FOOD BLOGGERS! (be sure to include your pinterest ID when you write)  Once you are added, any pins you add will be seen by 10s of THOUSANDS of followers of the board (and growing daily).

Rules, only 2... 
  1. In order to join you need to start following the group board as well as at least one of my boards.
  2. And you must ONLY pin original sources, posts from food related bloggers only.  If you are a blogger, this is a great way to have thousands of potential readers see your work,  If you are a fan of bloggers, a great way to share your favorites...
    Come and be a part of ... FAVORITE FOOD BLOGGERS! on Pinterest

1 comment:

  1. This really looks so delectable! I do love potatoes and I guess I will surely love this recipe. That peach side dish also looks so delicious. Thank you for sharing this amazing dish. I will certainly serve this for breakfast tomorrow even though it is still months away before Christmas.

    ReplyDelete

FMP